Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Rules Of The Game

Welcome to my webcomic reviews blog. It's set 'adult content' because my language can get pretty colorful and I will review webcomics for any age, from children to teen to adult-only. I'm sick of all these 'respectable' review sites that only review 'family friendly' webcomics. One of the reasons I think webcomics are better - in theory - than regular print comics is that anyone can do it, for free, and say anything they like. So what do we do in the face of unprecedented freedom of expression?

Clog up the internet with 'family friendly' webcomics, 'family friendly' webcomic newssites and podcasts, and 'family friendly' webcomic review sites. The same, tame, PC, spoonfed bullshit we get from Big Comics.

Fuck that noise. Fuck it in the eye.

The best art is not always created for the masses, or for casual consumption. Sometimes good art and challenging thought comes with the taboo, with the unacceptable, with the impolitic. Expression should have no boundaries save artistic integrity, and so unlike those 'family friendly' sites, I'm ready and able to accept that good webcomics can have graphic language, extreme violence and yes, even nudity and sex. I'll review it all.

So, I'll pretty much review any webcomic I get asked to, with the following guidelines:

* I WILL NOT review Sprite comics UNLESS IT IS DAMN GOOD. There are WAY too many shitty, lazy sprites out there, and not enough motivation in me to review them. If you put real effort into yours, I will review it. Otherwise, you are wasting your time.

* I DO NOT HAVE TO review every single comic that I am requested to. There isn't enough time in the day or money in the world. You requested a review? Thanks. I'll get to it if and when I can.

* Giving a damn gives you a better shot at being reviewed. I'll be honest. If your webcomic looks like a lazy attempt at art and you don't seem to take it seriously, I'm no going to waste my time. If you update randomly or seldomly, I'm not going to waste my time. If you have less than 20 pages, I'm not going to waste my time. Those comics that try hard get rewarded. If your art sucks but you write well, I'll likely review you. If you're really making an attempt to improve, I'll likely review you. Pretty reaonable, I think.

* If you want a review, email me at xxxredrighthand(at)gmail(dot)com with a link to your comic and a quick description of what it's about. Also, ADD A LINK TO THIS REVIEW SITE to your links list. Note - I WILL CHECK to see if it's there. If it is, you're one step closer to getting reviewed, but without it, I can guarantee you will not get one. I will notify you within 7 days whether or not you will get a review. If you are told you will not be getting one, feel free to take down the link. PLEASE don't argue with me or beg me if I say no. If I tell you that you ARE getting a review, please keep the link up. Once you get the review, I'd request you keep the link up, and will note that webcomics taking the link down AFTER I review them, either because they don't like my review or just don't care anymore WILL BE ADDED TO MY WALL OF WANKERS. The WOW list is a list of asshats, poor sports and whiny babies that yank the link after I do a review, and contains links to said bad reviews instead of their webcomic. Please, don't be a wanker.

* All reviews will TRY to offer constructive criticism. Try being the operative word. If I just can't find anything nice to say, I won't lie. My reviews will be honest, but they may be harsh. Request a review at your own peril.

* I WILL NOT review ANY webcomic that hasn't requested it, themselves. I'm not going to go out looking for webcomics to bash or take suggestions, folks. It's just too easy. This is why I will never apologize for my brutal honesty - YOU asked for it.

That's about it. So, request away if you think you can handle it. Don't say I never warned you.

No comments: